Keep your gut healthy with these nourishing recipes from Christine Bailey, Nutritionist and author of the Gut Health Diet (www.christinebailey.co.uk).
A delicious low FODMAP bread, grain-free and wonderfully moist thanks to the addition of coconut flour. This will freeze well too. Simply cut into slices and open freeze until firm. Alternatively, store in the fridge for up to four to five days. Berries are a fabulous food rich in polyphenols to support a healthy balance of gut bacteria.
Makes one 2lb loaf
- 4 ripe small bananas
- 4 eggs
- 100g (3.5 fl oz) coconut oil
- 125g (4.5 oz) almond nut butter or other nut butter or tahini
- 60g (2oz) coconut flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 60g (2oz) frozen blueberries or other frozen fruit
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Grease a 2lb loaf pan and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the banana, eggs, butter and nut butter in a food processor. Add the coconut flour, soda, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon and blend together. Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Slice to serve.