Keep your gut healthy with these nourishing recipes from Christine Bailey, Nutritionist and author of the Gut Health Diet (www.christinebailey.co.uk).
To make your own coconut yogurt, you will need to introduce bacteria into the coconut milk. You can buy commercially available yogurt starter kits or use half a teaspoon of probiotic powder. The addition of agar flakes or gelatine helps the yogurt to thicken to create a thick, creamy set yogurt.
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1tbsp agar agar flakes or gelatine
- ½ tsp probiotic powder, yogurt starter kit or 3-4tbsp live yogurt
- In a pan, bring the coconut milk and agar flakes or gelatine to just below boiling point. Simmer and stir well to dissolve the agar. Take off the heat and allow to cool down to room temperature. Stir in the probiotic powder.
- Pour the mixture in a yogurt maker or use a clean, dry thermos. Ferment for 12-24 hours. After fermentation, stir well and place the yogurt in the fridge to firm up.
- This will keep in the fridge for one week.
- Serve with granola, berries or scatter over nuts and seeds.