Keep your gut healthy with these nourishing recipes from Christine Bailey, Nutritionist and author of the Gut Health Diet (www.christinebailey.co.uk).
Beetroots are traditionally known for their ability to support bile flow, as well as improving circulation in the body. Beetroot and apples are also a great source of soluble fibre for healthy digestion.
- 250g beetroot peeled and diced
- 1 apple, quartered
- ½ onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 500ml homemade chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 100g live natural yogurt or coconut yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Toss the beetroot, apple, onion and garlic with a little oil in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Put the cooked vegetables in a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a pan and simmer for five minutes.
- Top with a little herb yogurt to serve.